Thursday, February 8, 2007

Spring is coming

I saw a sign of the coming spring today.  No, it wasn’t the temperature of 49 degrees displayed on the marquee I rode by in the morning.  It’s not the restored view of the mountains because the inversion over the valley has finally cleared.  Nor is it that there is still daylight when I leave work.  It isn’t the melting snow in my yard, the unsolicited spring catalogs in my mailbox, or the students at the library cramming for mid-terms. 



No, what I saw today that told me spring is coming was people.  That’s right, people.  More specifically, people that were outside.  I saw kids playing soccer in front yards, teenagers flirting on corners, old men smoking and scratching themselves on porches, old ladies nagging them.  There was a line at the taco stand today.  I haven’t seen that since September. 



Ahh, yes.  I look forward to life outside again.  What signs have you seen? 



No comments:

Post a Comment