Sunday, March 11, 2007

Fueled by papayas

Well, surfing seemed like a good idea at the time, but I guess I’m too cheap to rent a board and pay for a lesson, especially when I have two boogie boards at my disposal, free of charge. 



Boogie_boards



We arrived in Honolulu on Friday afternoon via a turbulent flight.  I’m always amazed by the human psyche.  I love bounding over rough and rocky trails, even on my hard tail mountain bike, but the slightest bump in an airplane and my knuckles turn white and I start taking stock of my life. 



My goals for this trip are one, to spend more time immersed in the ocean than on land, and two, to consume my body weight in fresh tropical fruits.  It should come as no surprise to anyone that achieving these involves a bicycle.  Mags’s parents live on the North Shore of Oahu, by a great swimming beach and a swanky resort with hot tubs that I falsely feel entitled to use.  Every morning I hop on a borrowed bike, pedal out to the main road and hang a left.  Five minutes later I watch the sun rise from the middle of Turtle Bay. 



The drawback to all this swimming is that it makes me awfully hungry.  In light of my Lenten fast, I’m fortunate the nearest taqueria is 1,500 miles away, but if I make a right turn instead of a left at the main road, there are a couple of fruit stands that are ideal riding destinations  I’ve eaten more papayas in the past 48 hours than in my entire adult life.  And how many of you can say you’ve eaten an entire pineapple in one sitting?  Incidentally, I can also say the same thing about Green River watermelons. 



The best ride for achieving my goals involves making a right, followed by a left.  Eight miles later I can be at Malaekahana beach where the waves are perfect for honing my boogie boarding skills.  If that doesn’t make me a faster racer, I don’t know what will. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment