Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nothing but excuses

 Deer valley
Deer Valley Pedalfest, 2008. Some of these are better than others, but they're all excuses. 


  • Three weeks off the bike

  • One week riding too hard trying to recover lost fitness

  • A bad case of food poisoning, possibly salmonella

  • Four weeks since last race

  • Snowfall the night before,

  • But not enough to necessitate my mud tires, which I mounted up anyway

  • Downhill chock full of 180 degree switchbacks that I’m too big to flow through

  • Shortened race course

  • Temperatures in the 30's



I felt flat from the start, like I was going backwards on the descents.  I found myself wishing it was over before finishing the first lap.  Just look at the desperation in my eyes…

00146-27-0807

I did hold off a surging Brandon Firth in a sprint to the line to hold onto a whopping 13th place.  Hey, 13th out of 20 isn’t too bad.  Last year I was 22nd out of 27.  After the race Ryan and I burned a lap on the Glenwild loop, which was a lot more fun than the race.  Drier too.  Almost as much fun as my ride to the park for a Sunday barbecue...

Bbq



1 comment:

  1. Shoot, if I finished 13 out of 20 in my class, I'd be looking for excuses for why I did so well. Good job, considering the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete