Monday, February 15, 2010

Snowbasin Nordic Challenge

Skaters

For three years now, I’ve been threatening to try cross country ski racing.  I made good on that threat Monday morning.  The Snowbasin Nordic Challenge is a 5 or 15 kilometer skate ski race held to raise funds for a hospital in Guatemala that was nearly destroyed by a mudslide in 2005.  Sure it was nice to contribute to a worthy cause, but I was more excited that there was finally a cross country ski race held on a weekend where I would be in town.  

Getting to Snowbasin was not without incident.  Our car started overheating when we pointed it toward the mountains.  That, combined with the sputtering and misfiring we were experiencing earlier in the week, leads me to suspect the worst—head gasket failure.  We stopped three times to let the engine cool off so we had only 15 minutes to get ready when we got to Snowbasin.  

That was just enough time for Mags and me to get our bibs, click into our skis, Mags to lose her gloves, and me to figure out where our timing chips were supposed to go.  Then just like that the gun went off and the race was on.  Mass starts in ski races can be a little dangerous with all those sharp poles flying everywhere, but we both managed to get through it with both eyeballs intact and no new orifices.  

After a short downhill, the race turned uphill and I started moving up.  I started to get that sandbagger feeling after I passed a dozen or so racers.  I was wishing I’d signed up for the 15k race.  Then the trail got even steeper and I changed my mind again.  It had been a while since I’d felt that old familiar tinge of exercise-induced nausea, but there it was, in all its glory, starting from deep in my gut and getting stronger with every stride.  I looked to the side of the trail for a place to puke, but the top came before the barf did.  Phew! Chuckage contained. 

Mags had her own bout with nausea and she too was able to contain it.  She finished the 5k third among women and first in her age category.  I was second overall with a time of 17:55 and about 30 seconds behind the winner.  It was a well organized race, with lots of raffle prizes, great food and a good turnout.  Uh oh, cross country ski racing seems like something I could get into, but another expensive hobby is the last thing I need. 



4 comments:

  1. If you had just invested in 4-5 pairs of skis, each with a different grind and flex and each prepped with high florocarbon waxes for every possible snow condition, you probably would have won. And it would have only cost you $4k or so. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to try distance running. All you need is a good pair of shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way GW.  When it comes to running, I'd rather watch paint dry.   Besides, I need to protect my knees so I can still wade in big rivers when I'm in my 60s. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who cares about wax and gear, that beard is KICK ASS!! Obviously you don't care that much about winning or you would trim that off. That had to hold you back due to the extra weight and poor aerodynamics.

    ReplyDelete