Thursday, May 27, 2010

<EM>Santiago de Compostela</EM>

Cathedral
ShellWe made it to Santiago de Compostela a couple of days ago.  Honestly, arriving at the cathedral holding the remains of St. James was a little underwhelming.  Maybe it's because I'm a bad Catholic, (due in part to the fact that I'm not Catholic), or maybe it was because the final 10 kilometers were through the industrial part of town and then through a congested city.  Those certainly contributed, but I think the real reason I was nonplussed was that all of the pleasure of the pilgrimage was in the journey, not in arriving at the destination.  I'm already scheming of a return trip to do more of el Camino.


We arrived the cathedral just in time for the lighting of the botafumera during the Pilgrims' Mass.  The botafumera is a giant (5 ft tall) incense burner that they swing back and forth across the cathedral at the end of the Mass.  If the rope it hangs from were to break it would certainly kill a few people.  While it has it's spiritual meanings, it's size is attributed to it's effectiveness at masking the odor of all of those stinky pilgrims gathered in the pews.  It worked quite well at that, but only for a little while.  
Guestbook 


Our final stop out of town was at the Pilgrims' office where we could get our final Credencials to prove we'd made it all the way.  They were very serious about the affair, closely inspecting each stamp in our passports and asking us where we started, how much of it was done by bicycle, where we stayed, etc.  I sweat more during the interview than during the ride.   


Credentials


Our pilgrim days aren't over yet.  Next we're off to where it all began for more two-weeled pilgriming.  Since we were going to Jerusalem I asked the priest at the cathedral in Santiago if he wanted me to take James' remains back to where they came from.  I don't think he understood me because he got really mad and told me to get out of there.   Must have been a language barrier. 


 






 



1 comment:

  1. Chad - Mags,
    I love you two. I am so sorry I couldn't join you on your journey. Would have been fun. By the way most all Europeans stink (minus my wife of course). I have to tip my hat to your desire for adventure. I hope you never loose it.
    Sorry the end was Anti-clamatic. Like most things in life, its about the journey and who you've become. To have really pissed off the priest, you could have told him in America we have a Bigger Cathedral with a Bigger box of remains of someone more important. Then chanted "USA" on the way out the door. (They like that kind of stuff).
    With love,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete