Thursday, July 24, 2014

This is the Place

Originally Posted July 24, 2004 by Chad

Just like the pioneers of 1847, we rolled into Salt Lake City today, July 24. I reckon the city doesn’t look the same today as it did 157 years ago, but it felt as much like home to us as it did to the pioneers. We rode through downtown Brigham City, Ogden and Salt Lake, dodging saltwater taffy left on the road from the parades the whole way. It was a hot and sweaty 76 miles through the continuous stop-and-go traffic of Highway 89 from my brother’s home in Brigham City to Margaret’s brother’s home in Draper. In Bountiful, we passed the first Kool-Aid stand we had seen since Seattle. We had decided long ago that we were going to stop at every lemonade and Kool-Aid stand we passed, and these kids made it easy to keep that promise. They were selling their red sugar-water for only five cents a glass, and refills were free. I think I had four glasses, and Mags had two. I gave them a dollar and told them to keep the change, that’s a 900% tip. I just hope they don’t get into a fight dividing it up, since there were three of them.

Tomorrow it’s an easy 30 miles around the point of the mountain to my mother’s home in Provo. She said she is going to greet us in the yard with the garden hose in case we stink. Gee, it’s great to be home again.


Posted by Chad at 10:28 PM | Comments (2)
Original Comments: This is the place
Congratulations on obtaining a significant chunk of your touring/adventure goal. Having ridden for a few miles beside you, should I say "behind you", your accomplishment is held in high esteem by this dad. Having been more of a casual biker since my early childhood and having always loved to get around on a bike I was poorly prepared to understand just how much planning, organization, technical knowhow, and physical stamina and strength goes in to serious, day after day cycling. Sometime during the 70 or so miles I tagged along with you two I clocked a few five-minute miles. But while doing that I realized that you typically do three-minute miles and at least on the relatively level highway you do those three-minute miles all day long. This is an appreciation that I don't think I would have had if I did not try a few miles myself along with you. And then there are a few other challenges you have beein dealing with in high touch, high tech cycling such as coping with long, steep hills, double unit 26 wheel trucks that pass going 70 miles an hour some few feet to your left, roads that have virtually no shoulder and no place other than the traffic lane for a bike, no place to drink, eat, or releave oneself when the need is urgent and of course a problem I did not face - finding a place to spend the night free of while mules and other preditors. I appreciate Mom for making it possible for me to participate with you. I was fun to have Tanya involved also. So thanks for letting us share a small piece of your lives.

Love, Dad Carl

Posted by Carl Harris at July 25, 2004 09:07 PM
 
I suppose you intended to quote Simon and Garfunkel in your last line Saturday. It certainly is appropriate for your homecoming. Since I went to their concert last month and I've been a lifelong fan, let me add to your closing line.

Gee, but it's great to be back home,
home is where I want to be.
I been on the road so long, my friend,
And if you came along,
I know you couldn't disagree.
It's the same old story.
Everywhere I go,
I get slandered, libeled
I hear words I never heard in the bible
I'm one step ahead of the shoe-shine
Two steps away from the county line
Just trying to keep my customers satisfied
And I'm, oh, so tired
oh, oh, oh so tired.

Posted by Steven Fleming at July 27, 2004 09:09 AM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment