Tuesday, July 3, 2007

See, it can be done







Mags comes from a big family. No, I take that back. It’s huge. She has 60 first cousins, and most of them
have spouses and a lot of them have kids. When they all get together they go through food like a swarm of Mormon
Crickets
.
Cricket





















They’ll be at it again this Independence Day. The whole mob is getting together for a big
picnic at Bear Lake and my sweet wife has been assigned
the task of providing enough potato salad to strengthen and nourish them all.



She compiled a shopping list:





    •    50 lbs potatoes
    •    10 lbs red onions
    •    5 lbs olives
    •    1 quart olive oil
    •    1 gallon red wine vinegar
    •    240 paper plates
    •    300 paper cups
    •    200 plastic forks and spoons

There is only one place to find everything on that list, in
those quantities:



Costco









I offered to go with her to help out, but only if we could
ride bikes. She didn’t think I could
carry all that stuff, but she reluctantly agreed.



When we had everything on our list I looked into our cart
and saw that there was room to spare. So
I picked up a few things for us:



    •    5 lbs trail mix
    •    3 lbs Strawberries
    •    1 pineapple
    •    15 lbs grapefruit















Mags stopped me before I got to the furniture department…





With only four bungee cords and a little strategic packing,
I got it all on our grocery getter. Sure, it was a bit wobbly, but it cost us nothing in gas.



100_1275



 



 




5 comments:

  1. How much do you think all of that stuff weighed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd guess it was at least 110 lbs. I probably could have reduced the wobbling if I hadn't packed four of the five 10 lb bags of potatoes in the front basket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got it all backwards. The objective was to nourish and strengthen them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got it all backwards. The objective was to nourish and strengthen them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Chad for comparing us to a swarm of Mormon Crickets.

    ReplyDelete