Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cycling fashion <em>faux pas</em></p>

When the weather is warm no one ever accuses me of being a fashionista.  That's because I am familiar with, but don't always follow, most of cycling’s fashion rules.  But when the temperature drops, my friends and I throw all those rules out the window. 



Take, for instance, these neoprene gloves; they’re only $12 in the hunting section of your local sporting goods store.



Gloves



Or when it’s too warm for leg warmers on the climb up, but you’re too lazy to take them off because you’ll need them for the ride down, just roll them down to your socks and feel like it’s 1984 all over again.



Hpis_482468421



Then there’s the tan wool socks with black tights look.  Extra warmth on those chilly winter days.



100_1552



But if that’s not warm enough, no wind is too bitter for the plastic bag sock liner trick.





Bags





6 comments:

  1. Perhaps I should post a pic of me riding home from work (cold AM, warm PM) in my shorts and short jersey but winter cycling boots and winter gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This are fashion tips in themselves, don't sell yourself short, Dapper Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. how come all those bikes look familiar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because they either are, or were at one time, your bikes. Incidentally, I really think you should get a Superfly
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips. I've been suffering through some pretty cold rides lately. I like the neoprene glove idea. I checked out my local sports store, which happens to be "Basin Sports" in lovely downtown Vernal, USA. I was foiled in my quest for neoprene enjoyment, mostly because I couldn't find any, but also because ALL of the store employees who could potentially offer some insight were huddled around the Gun counter. The gun slinging talks were fast and furious, and I couldn't get a word in edgewise. After listening and waiting patiently to a conversation that ended with "Ahh don't worry, your're Husband gonna LOVE this new gun". I then realized these smooth talkin salesmen would not exactly lend an eager ear to my quest for neoprene warmth, particulary if my desire to wear neoprene had nothing to do with lying in wait and shooting unsuspecting animals. Oh well, discussions of cycling fashion faux paus at the mighty Basin Sports may have to wait until after the Holidays, when traffic at the gun counter calms down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of cycling fashion faux paus. Just before my first mountain bike race, a friend mentioned, "Hey, you better take those reflectors off champion." I stared down at my 8 year old reflectors and thought - no way dude, there's no way I'm parting with this original equipment. I'll wear them as a badge of honor, and a beacon to all those 'weekend world championship' riders. Sadly, I did take the reflectors off for subsequent races, as I was briefly caught up in the world championship mentality. Now I think it's time to honor my heritage and bring the reflectors back. I just hope I can find those original beauties.

    ReplyDelete