Tuesday, November 27, 2007

More fun down on the farm

Wheeler



Saturday was another day of cyclocross fun at Wheeler Farm.  The weather was sunny but cold.  I’ve been fortunate to avoid the muddy cyclocross races this year—but how long can my luck last? 



My goal for this race was to not get left alone.  Last time I fell off the back and rode most of the race alone, and was kind of bored.  I wonder how the guy who finished last felt.  This week I was determined to stick with somebody. That way, even though I stood little chance of winning, at least I would feel like I was competing for something. 



At the start I worked to latch onto a group of two and did my best to sit on their wheels.  Slowly we worked our way up to another rider, Jared, but one of our original three dropped off.  I moved around Jared and the other guy (Kevin, I think), and led the group for about a lap.  Eventually we dropped Kevin. 
Then Jared came around me and gave me a sprinting clinic.  He would open up a four or five second gap on every straight section, then I would slowly reel him in on the twisty and technical sections, only to get gapped again on the straights. 



Barriers



On the last lap I caught up to him at the final run through the barriers. There were two straight, fast sections to go, and one twisty section in between.  I figured my only chance was to stick with him through the first straight section, sit on his wheel through the twists, then make my move at the start of the final straight section to the finish line. 



My plan worked exactly as I envisioned it, except when went to make my final move.  I shifted up, but my chain hesitated a split second before moving up to the big ring.  When it did, Jared and I both sprinted for the line.  I was gaining fast but I ran out of race course.  He beat me by a wheel.  If I had five more feet of track I would have passed him. 



I was tenth, and a split second out of ninth.  That’s my best finish in the A-group ever, but best of all I felt like I was actually racing. 



Thanks Jared. 



1 comment:

  1. check you out! looks like your legs have put on some serious muscle mass, should babers know this?

    ReplyDelete