Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I need your help

A committee had been formed.  Its purpose: to find a workable solution to the bike problem (funny that the problem is nebulous at this point.  Is it a safety issue?  An aesthetics issue?  Nobody is saying.  I still think it’s because the big boss is miffed about finding a bike in a conference room.  But why isn't she just banning bikes from conference rooms?)  They’re still going full bore with the idea of buying more bike lockers for us.  I measured a bike locker last night.  It’s not tall enough to fit my bike. 



Somehow, whoever formed this committee overlooked the one guy who rides a bike to work year round.  Now I’ve got to learn the job of a lobbyist, possibly the most powerful job on Capitol Hill if one knows what he’s doing.



I don't.  I’m going to need your help.



Many of you are bicycle commuters.  I need to know what the bicycle policy is at your place of employment.  Is there a formal one? Or do people just not care?  What concessions do I need to consider to not lose the bike in the cubicle privilege?  I need to overwhelm the big boss with information if I’m going to convince her that this issue isn’t really an issue at all.  I’m specifically interested in your stories of damage or loss to your bike from storing it in a bicycle locker, and what you have done to convince non-cyclists that bikes belong in the office. 



I’m not interested in hearing about the dissonance of an air quality agency having an anti-bicycle policy.  That irony is so powerful that pointing it out only angers people.   



7 comments:

  1. this is serious business eh? I can park my bike in my office as can anyone here at Harborview Hospital on my department. I would not lock my bike up outside as I have before and it's been tampered with. The parking situation is horrid, they should be happy people are riding their bikes. Also, next month is bike to work month, I'm on a team and we have to ride our bikes to work 5x next month, piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this what is being proposed? Really?
    http://www.belson.com/sbl.htm?se=base&WT.mc_id=399&pg=sbl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm much help since, as I mentioned on my blog this morning, my work has the same policy. However, let me know what you find out, because I'm afraid I'm going to have to form a 1-man lobbyist team pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, except the ones we currently have aren’t bolted to the ground. A thief could lift them up and steal every bike inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will get to work preparing the lawsuit we will have to file once you get fired. We will seek millions in damages so I can retire and ride more.
    Other than that, I can't offer much help. I am fortunate to have my own office where I can pretty much put anything I want, In the few different downtown office buildings I have worked none that I am aware of had a policy against bikes.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even at BYU exercise science dept where physical fitness is promoted you can't ride your good bike to work because you have to lock them up outside where they get damaged and even worse stolen.
    The BYU police said that we can't bring them into our offices because it is against the fire code. You just may trip on them when they are against the wall while running out.
    There are a lot of road blocks. But keep pushing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, make sure the dog has been put down. As for work, give them an estimate of gas they will have to reimburse, that you have to come to work late and leave early to make up for lost exercise time, and start looking for a new job.

    ReplyDelete