Tuesday, April 29, 2008

RAWROD '08

I was one of about 50 riders on Kenny’s Annual Ride Around White Rim in One Day (RAWROD) on Saturday.  Mags, Darren and Ryan were too.  It’s a hundred miles of rocky road through Canyonlands National Park.  I’d done it before in 2005 and bonked around mile 90 because I didn’t see the final rest stop.  Maybe I’d already bonked and just rode on past it. 



This year I vowed to take it easy, to go slow and to have more fun.  I wanted to ride with Mags and some folks I don’t normally get to ride with, so I took my brand new single speed out for what would be only my 4th single speed ride.  Ever. 



The day went exactly as planned.  I prodded Mags early to stick with the group, because I know riding 100 miles alone is no fun.  I made excuses to stop a lot to make sure she was in front of me.  She made it the all the way but had to walk up Horse thief, but I almost did too.  It’s 2.8 miles and straight up—well, at least it feels straight up.  That was one of the few times I wished I had extra gears.



Here are some photos from the trip.



Fish, living Aloha...
100_1958






Mags, doing her first century ride not spent staring at my butt...



100_1968_2



Me, second-guessing my single speed decision...



Chad_horse_theif







Darren powers up Murphy's Hogback...





100_1969







Ryan cleans Hardscrabble as a birthday present to himself...



100_1973







Fish celebrates his finish with a Cock 'n Bull...



100_1979_2







Mags had the dirtiest legs of all...



100_1981





Thanks, Kenny, for putting it all together.   It got me thinking about my own epic ride.  Anybody interested in repeating the RAGSLOW with me this fall?



1 comment:

  1. ragslow - i'm in. what weekend are you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete