Thursday, May 1, 2008

Pranksters and progress

There has been a little progress in the bicycle ban in my office.  Apparently common sense does prevail, even in an office full of engineers and scientists. 



But first, a little office humor…



There was a promotional poster for Bike Month last year (May is Bike Month, don’t you know?) that depicts a bicycle in a cubicle with the caption “Enjoy getting to work as much as you enjoy leaving.” 



There are a few of these still hanging around the office.  I have one in my cubicle.  Sorry about the fuzzy cell phone photos.



Poster



This morning I saw that the poster in the upstairs break room had been modified to reflect the current bicycle policy…



Prankster



I fixed it quick; for fear that it might appear we’re being too flippant about the issue.  But not before I snapped a photo. 



And now for the progress:  The committee (they found room for me on the committee) has drafted a proposed bicycle policy that allows bikes in cubicles so long as they don’t block escape paths, track in dirt and aren’t stored in conference rooms.  All of which should go without saying, but since we’re a government bureaucracy we can’t take anything for granted. 



1 comment:

  1. Funny how the government bureaucracy policy differs from a corporate policy. If my company were to draft a bicycle policy, it would be about how bikes create a synergistic win/win atmosphere of diverse people thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete