Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Changing Perceptions

Originally Posted Sept. 27, 2004 by Chad


COSHOCTON, OHIO. We have never been to Ohio before, so when we rode into it on Friday we were eager to see how it was different from Indiana. Rather than seeing a difference, we smelled a difference. We were riding past pig farms, chicken farms, dairy farms, dead skunks and anything else that could produce a stench. Our first impression was, in a word, Ohio stinks! We were assaulted by a new noxious, insidious or foul smell every mile.

We were happy to finally reach the town of Coldwater so we decided to stop for dinner in the fresh air. There we met Liz Schriner, who’s husband, Joe, is running for president. You may have heard of him because he also ran in 2000, he’s the Average Joe that is taking "back roads to the white house." Joe came out and shook our hands, but was too busy schmoozing to chat with us. Liz asked us a bunch of questions about our trip, and took notes of our answers. She even took our photo, so I think we’re going to be in Joe’s next book about his 2004 campaign. You can read about his platform at his website: http://www.voteforjoe.com/

In Coldwater we also met a reporter for a small alternative newspaper. She interviewed us while we ate at the Chinese Buffet. When we told her we usually camp out she invited us to sleep at her house. In the morning she made us breakfast and gave us a map of Ohio (which we didn’t have because our original route didn’t take us through Ohio). Our perceptions of Ohio were changing.

Lisa and her sons, Ben and Aaron

On Sunday we went to St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in the city of Delaware. We thought it would be a good place to sit and rest but we didn’t realize they do so much standing up and kneeling down during their service. I wonder what religion has the easiest service to sleep through.

East of Delaware we entered Ohio’s Amish country. Along a little country road I saw a vine of ripe tomatoes and had to stop. There was a table loaded with tomatoes on the front porch. As I approached a couple of dogs started making a ruckus so their owner had to come out to quiet them down. At first I though it was an old man with a shaggy beard and hat, but as he got closer I saw that it was a kid of about 16. I asked if the tomatoes were for sale and he told me that they didn’t sell them on Sundays.
“Mmm…that’s too bad” I said, feeling a little sheepish for asking without realizing I was at an Amish home. “Do you think I could just have some?” I finally asked.

“I guess I could just give you some,” he said with his slight German accent.

That broke the ice a bit and he started asking about our trip. He seemed impressed with the distance we had traveled but he was a still little reserved. I would have loved to talk with him more, because I know so little about his way of life but I just felt uncomfortable there in my skin-tight shorts and lycra shirt, with him in his heavy homemade pants and shirt that covered all the way to his ankles and wrists. I wonder what his perception of us was. He and I were obviously from different worlds. He helped me pick out four delicious tomatoes, I thanked him and we were on our way.

I guess Ohio doesn’t stink after all. Here in Coshocton we've met a few people that have convinced me that it definately doesn't, but for that story you will have to wait.


Posted by Chad at 12:15 PM | Comments (2)
Original Comments: Changing Perceptions 

Diploma arrived in mail today, guess that means your some of the best educated peddlers around. Seems you are moving accross the states fast now and will soon be there.

Posted by shirley at September 28, 2004 09:42 PM
 
That was a great newspaper article about your trip in the Coshocton news. The picture was good too, hope to be able to obtain a copy of the paper.

Posted by Shirley at October 1, 2004 08:12 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment