Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Dog's Country

Originally Posted Sept. 22, 2004 by Mags


 We’re lucky that we didn’t get some chunks of flesh taken out of our thighs during our first morning in Indiana. During the first hour’s ride about 10 dogs from 10 separate houses aggressively pursued us. At one place a vicious little brown dog took after us, we spurted off and then just as the brown dog was giving up another dog from the neighboring house ran after us. The good thing about being chased by dogs is that you go fast without really thinking about it- you’re so worried about those slicing white teeth latching on to your Achilles tendon. The only leash laws in Indiana must decree that all dogs go unleashed because almost every house had a dog and almost every dog was loose and feisty. I got so paranoid that I put some pepper spray in my pocket in case we couldn’t get away fast enough. All the dogs in Ohio have been quite friendly- most are locked up and the ones that aren’t just want to play. Just before we reached Fairmount, Indiana we met Helmut and Josie on one of the small country roads. Helmut is a very friendly guy who saw us riding down the road and called out at us to come back. Helmut came to America in 1960 and worked as a skilled tradesman for General Electric in several states. His wife, Josie is from Chicago and they’ve lived in Indiana for several years. It was fun to talk with them- they gave us some water and some cookies (Helmut said that was his good deed for the year) and we headed out towards Fairmount. Anyways, we’re now in Ohio, which is quite stinky in the flat areas- lots of pig and poultry farms. The smell is a combination of toejam, fermented dirt and sweaty socks. It makes Chad smell like a strawberry pie. 

Original Comments: Dog's Country
Strawberry pie? Somehow I doubt that.
I was delivering Matheson for Governor literature several weeks ago in the Orem area. I walked up a driveway and suddenly faced a charging, frothing, black lab. I nearly wet myself. Fortunately, the homeowner was in the garage and called off the fearsome animal. I thanked him and handed him the literature. I think he wished he hadn't saved my life. Maybe dogs are meant to protect us from unwanted mail.

Posted by Doc at September 28, 2004 08:14 AM
 
As I read about the dogs I couldn't help but think of your (Margaret) fated attempt to walk poor Emma last year. I could just imagine Emma's yaps piercing the neighborhood after you rang the doorbell to see if anyone was home, and her continued hair-bristling growling that was meant to keep intruders away as you peered through the back door. Little did she know that it was you, a tired grad student longing merely to stretch your desk-cramped legs with the excuse of a locked up furry creature needing love and leg stretching as motive to put off that thesis yet a little longer. She sorely missed out that day. Maybe these dogs were really just wanting a little exercise too?
I don't know how many people out there are following this trip. . .but these pages have kept me entertained all summer, and continue to be a good excuse to put off all of my homework just a little longer :)
p.s. just got back to Seattle, and in case you were wondering, it is still rainy.

Posted by Starr at September 30, 2004 01:00 AM
 
That was a great article and photo in the newspaper. I was only able to read the first page as it was continued on page 4A and somehow I can't figure out how to make this computer find that page as of now. Love, Mom

Posted by shirley at October 1, 2004 08:37 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment