Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What is your greatest cycling memory?

Lately I’ve been reminiscing over some of my finest moments on a bike.  I’ve had a pile of good times, but there are a few memories that always rise to the top, some because they were turning points in my life, others because they’re funny. 



Over the next five days I’ll be counting down my top five cycling memories.  I’m interested to know what you think, but I’m more interested about your greatest moment on a bike.  Please tell me about it in the comments section below.

#5 When my brother taught me how to ride on the handlebars

One day in my early teens I was sitting around the house when my brother came inside with the smirk he always has when he’s up to something.  He said he had something to show me and asked me to follow him outside.



His bike was on the front lawn.  He picked it up and swung his leg over it, only he did it backwards, so he was facing the seat instead of the handlebar.  Then he sat on the handlebar and, with a push, started pedaling.  His smirk changed to a horsey smile as he rode backwards on his bike, sitting on the handlebar and trying to steer. 



I ran for my bike.  He had to teach me how. 



He held my seat while I tried to balance on the handlebar.  He stopped me when I was headed for the bushes.  He taught me how to steer and which hand to use to pull the back brake.  He let me learn that pulling the front brake leads to disaster.  Within minutes he had me riding backwards on my own. 



Within the hour we were racing around the yard.  Within a day we were racing around the block.



We’ve been doing it for years now.  It’s almost second nature.  I do it whenever I need a laugh, whether from myself or from whomever I’m with.  Here’s a picture of my brother and me doing it on Kokopelli’s trail two months ago.
100_1144


   





1 comment:

  1. i will never forget when my dad taught me how to ride a bike without training-wheels. i was almost 5, my bike was purple and after my success he took me to choose a drink at the shops. i chose ribena cos it matched my bike.
    and then a few years later i attempted my first jump on a homemade contruction in the backyard...i stacked it big time, my leg got all caught up in the chain and stuff (that i convinced myself was 'guts') oozed out of my leg. i will show you the scar next time i see you.

    ReplyDelete