Thursday, February 15, 2007

Salt Lake City

I went to sleep Monday night to the sound of helicopters over my head.  Surely you’ve heard the news by now; six dead, four injured, hundreds traumatized, thousands outraged and left to wonder why.  I was a little surprised the helicopters still there on Tuesday morning when I rode by Trolley Square on my morning commute.  I guess our society demands round-the-clock updates from reporters live-at-the scene with no new information to share. 



Our house is less than a mile from Trolley Square.  We chose the house because it is an easy bike ride to many shopping centers, including Trolley square.    Some friends and family asked if moving so close to downtown was safe.  Monday night I thought maybe it wasn’t. 



Then I realized how wrong I was.  Part of the shock about Monday’s events was that things like this don’t happen in Salt Lake City.  It’s a safe place to live.  We have a squeaky-clean reputation here because we have chosen to be that way.  We’re fortunate to live in a part of the world where shopping is not life threatening, where people feel safe gathering in public, and where food poisoning is the greatest risk of dining out.   



Sure Salt Lake City will be a changed city after all of this, but it’s our choice if those changes will be for better or for worse. 



No comments:

Post a Comment