Thursday, June 26, 2014

Enjoy Your Weekend?


When last we spoke, I was spinning my wheels in a dead end job, working for a spineless government agency and looking forward to my next long weekend. Since then I’ve relocated to the world’s premier mountain biking destination, taken a corporate job and spend nearly every weekend in Moab. I feel like I’m finally in the driver’s seat on the road that is my life. Perhaps a better metaphor here is that it is my hands on the handlebars controlling my ride through life.

Speaking of weekends, today is Thursday. The weekend is two days away for most of us, or a whole weekend away. Sure I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also just coming down from the rush of an early morning ride on some desert singletrack, and am looking forward to floating the Grand River this afternoon. Tomorrow I’ll ride my road bike to work on what could possibly be the most beautiful commute route in the world. So yeah, the weekend is around the corner, but I’m not waiting for it with baited breath. On the other hand, one of my colleagues just ended a telephone call with me by saying “Enjoy your weekend”.

“Thanks, you too.” I said, but what I was thinking was “Really, that’s two days away? Is there nothing between now and then you’ve got to look forward to?” I hung up the phone and smiled. Then breathed a sigh of relief and gave thanks for being where I am, for being the owner of the hands on my handlebars.


Speaking of having my hands on handlebars, this summer is the tenth anniversary of Margaret's and my tandem ride across the USA. We kept a blog that summer documenting our trip, and to commemorate what is still my greatest moment on a bike, I’m going to reblog every entry on the anniversary it was originally posted. So come back to this new blog often and follow along as Mags and I relive our trip.  In the meantime, enjoy your weekend.  And everything else too.  

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Glad things are going well for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete