Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Helmet laws: Use your head

Bob has put me on his list of people to thank for a great 2006.   Right back at you Bob, I enjoyed chasing you around the singletrack.  Thanks for making my race season exciting, but did you have to mention my uphill endo? 



In other news, The Salt Lake City Council is considering making helmets mandatory for all cyclists.  Read about it here



It’s a good idea to wear a helmet when you ride a bike but should we legislate it? Doing so will only discourage some people from riding.  Some of my neighbors occasionally ride to the grocery store and coffee shops three blocks away.  If helmets are mandatory they may take the car rather than search for their helmet for such a short trip, even though Mags proved that a crash is possible on the way to the store.   Other cyclists may not be able to afford the extra 30 bucks for a helmet.  Still others may see it as a government invasion into personal affairs.   



Bicycle riding is a behavior we should be trying to encourage.  We shouldn’t make criminals out of people who are doing something good for themselves, good for us and good for the planet.  That's why I’m pro-helmet, but anti-helmet law. 



What about you?  If you live in SLC, you can contact your city council member here to tell him/her what you think. 



2 comments:

  1. I agree that they shouldn't make wearing helmets mandatory. It's really good to wear one on a long bike ride and stuff, but just for a quick ride it takes to long to find the helmet. Like you said I have other things to use my money on and don't have enough for a helmet. I don't live in SLC, but I still hope that they don't make it mandatory.
    From you favorite 12 year old niece, Kira (your only 12 year old niece)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I basically always wear a helmet. I just don't think the government has the right to require me to wear a helmet.
    Next thing you know, they'll be making seatbelts mandatory...

    ReplyDelete