Thursday, May 24, 2007

Right hook


Righthook2



I was nearly a victim of the right hook this morning. What’s a right hook? If you’ve ever ridden a bicycle in traffic,
you’ve likely experienced it. It’s when
a car eagerly passes you on the left and then makes a right turn right in front
of you.



Often the cyclist intends to go straight through the intersection when the
right hook happens, and it can usually be prevented by signaling and moving a few
feet left, if possible move all the way out of the right turn lane, to
emphasize your intentions to drivers behind you. But this morning I was in the right turn lane
because I intended to turn right. I
looked over my shoulder, signaled and moved left, so that I was in the center
of the right turn lane. But that didn’t
deter the woman in the SUV from hitting the gas, passing me on the left, then
making a right turn right in my path. This all happened within 30 feet of the intersection.



I didn’t get a chance to speak to the woman in the SUV, but if I had this is
what I would have said:



“You *$%!ing #@^*head. You almost @*?!ing killed me.”



I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t get that chance because that wouldn’t
have done anyone any good. The message
she needs to hear is this:



“What’s the big deal if, for half a block or so,
you can't get past me safely and are forced to drive behind me at, say, ten
miles an hour?  It might make your trip 30
seconds longer.  Do you really think
that saving half a minute is worth taking a serious risk of killing or maiming
another person?”



Needless to say, a right hook can be lethal for the cyclist.  So what can
you do to protect yourself from one? I
found these tips online:



1.  Be
Aware of Your Surroundings:  Become familiar with the intersections and
drives where motorists are likely to turn.  As you approach intersections
or drives, be aware of the motorists beside you and behind you.  Look over
your shoulder to check for cars as you approach an intersection.  Listen
to the sounds of their engine for sudden acceleration - this is a good hint
that the motorist is attempting to pass you before making a turn.  Always
assume the motorist is a) turning, and b) does not see you.



2.
Positioning:  As you approach an intersection, guard against the right
hook by riding on the left edge of bike lane.  If there is no bike lane,
then take the lane as you approach the intersection.  This forces the
motorists to make a more wide sweeping turn.   Also, never enter an
intersection in line with the back bumper of a car. The motorist will be unable
to see you!



3.  Maneuvering:  Know how to do emergency braking, and quick turns,
as these two maneuvers can save you should a motorist suddenly turn into your
path.



I did all of those things this morning and I still didn’t prevent the
right hook. I was fortunate that I didn’t
crash, but if I had I found this last piece of advice that I think every
cyclist should have in his quiver:





When the police arrive after your crash ask them "Have
you had any special training in bicycle-motor vehicle crash
investigation?" If they answer no then ask if an officer with such
training could carry out the crash investigation.











1 comment:

  1. I hate it when that happens. You have to take lanes in order to be safe. Cars generally hate it, but if you're right in the middle of the lane, they won't run you over. If you stay right they'll try to "sneak" by and you put your life on the line. Yesterday I took a lane going over a bridge and held up a lady for a good 30 seconds. I waved to say thanks as she passed me and she responded with the bird. I loved it, I had never been flipped off by a 60 something lady.

    ReplyDelete