Monday, November 5, 2007

Should've stayed in bed

With the season already half over, I went to my first cyclocross race of the year on Saturday.  I got my lunch handed to me. 



I lined up with a group of 17 guys in peak, mid-season form.  I hadn’t raced in two months.  They were riding the latest carbon bikes that cost thousands of dollars.  I was on the same old aluminum bike I had ridden to work just two days earlier—it had fenders on it until Friday afternoon.  I’d bet they’d had a full night’s sleep the night before.  I was out past 1AM watching Hells Belles



I was ready for the race to be over by the second lap.  Clearly I had forgotten how much ‘cross racing can hurt.  I traded positions with two guys for a little while, but I was out of gas before the race was half over.  The top three riders lapped me before I crossed the finish line in what I assumed was last place. 



Well, at least it felt like last place.  I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I looked up the results to see that I had finished in front three riders.  Please don’t spoil it by telling me they had mechanical problems. 



No comments:

Post a Comment