Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wheeler cyclocross

I raced at Wheeler Farm on Saturday.  Wheeler is my favorite cyclocross venue, because I used that live in the neighborhood, and it’s where I learned to ride cyclocross. 



Who am I kidding; I still don’t know how to ride cyclocross. 



I proved that in the first lap on Saturday.  I let me right pedal hit the ground on an off-camber section.  I was thrown from the trail and somehow twisted my chain in the process.  It wasn’t so bad that I had to switch bikes or drop out, but it did affect my shifting for the rest of the race. 



The only other remarkable thing about my race was that I almost crashed right in front of the entire crowd.  I was running across some barriers when I stumbled.  My front wheel hit the first barrier and I almost tripped over my bike.  I don’t know how, but I made it over the second barrier on my feet and staggered my back to balance.  I thought I had saved it but when I got back on my bike my chain had fallen off again.  That gave me a chance to listen to the PA announcer, who had been giving the audience a play by play of it all.  It was the only recognition I got during the whole race. 



I don’t have any photos from the race, except these that appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune.  You can seem me in the back left at 1:04 if you pause it and look close.  Click here to see the photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment