Friday, January 23, 2009

Maria's final entry

I'm almost ready to show you the final post in Maria's diary, in her own handwriting, but first I want to propose a hypothetical question. 


Suppose, hypothetically, you knew a way to contact one of the people we've been reading about in Maria's diary.  Let's just say it's her boyfriend, Jorge.  Further, let's suppose you happen to know where he works, and that perhaps you have a phone number for his place of employment, and that you know he still works there. 


Now for the hypothetical question:  If this purely hypothetical situation were actually true, would you try to call Jorge and see what happened between him and Maria? 


And if you would try to call him, assuming you could actually find a phone number for him, which I never actually said I had--this is a hypothetical scenario, remember--what would you say to him? 


Would it go something like this?


Jorge:  Hello.


Hypothetical Me:  Hi, I'm a nosey voyeur and I found your girlfriend's diary. 


Jorge:  Huh?  What the...


Hypothetical Me:  I'm calling because I want to know the rest of the story.  What happened between you and her?  I assume you never proposed to her on the beach in Hawaii.  And what about... 


Jorge:  You bastard.  I'm coming to get you. 


Hypothetical Me:  [click]


That doesn't seem like it would go very well.  So what would you say?   Please send me a comment with your better idea.  The best idea wins a Pepsi t-shirt that I can't seem to get rid of in any other way


OK, now for Maria's final entry (you may need to click on the photo to read it clearly):



Jorge 














7 comments:

  1. Google him and find an email address, Facebook page, or blog?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but what would you SAY to him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell him "I found this book I think it's a diary and your name is in it. Do you know how can I reach Maria to get it back to her?" That will break the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, this IS a cliffhanger. If I knew where he worked, I'd put on a very sexy outfit and go to the bar, alone, and sit at the bar and try to make conversation with him. I'd flirt and flirt with him and get asnwers from him. It's like Seinfeld with Elaine and the ketchup bottle. Although, I hardly think I'd have to dress up that much. I'd ask him about his past relationships,etc. I'd find a way to get answers. That's what I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send Babers. That's what I'd do. And since we're talking Seinfeld and a quest for truth, there has to be a way to work in a sauna scene. And big boobs with questionable authenticity.
    Or you could call the guy impersonating a police officer and tell him you are gather information regarding a crime that Maria is involved in. You need to know everything. And I mean everthing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You: Hi is this Jorge?
    Jorge: Jes, who is dees?
    You: You don't know me, but I'm a big-time, hollywood movie producer, and I'm working on a script based on a notebook I found at a thrift store.
    Jorge: escript? Notebook? hollygwood?
    You: Jes, I mean Yes. It's a big-time production. And it's about you and Maria. I just need to know how things ended between you to finish the story. Then we can cut you a check for like a million dollars.
    Jorge: Es mucho dinero! Ay Ay Ay! Andale! Arriba! Viva Mexico! (Fires pistol into the air several times, chandelier over bar falls on big angry guy in black cowboy hat. Fistfight ensues. Barstool is broken over Jorges head, etc..)
    P.S. Chad, thanks for the shirt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave,
    I hope you wear your new t-shirt with pride, and that it fits well (ie shows off your muscular physique) and makes you use phrases like 'Dude', 'killer' and 'wicked awesome' while cheating death on the two-wheeled vehicle of your choice.
    By the way dude, I thought your shop was wicked awesome. If I were a scooter rider I would definitely hang out and spend all my money at The Scooter Lounge. And you must be doing a killer business because I didn't think any small business owner anywhere could take a whole day off. But that's what your employee told me you were doing the day I went there. He said you take every Friday off to be with your kids. That, in all sincerity, is kick ass. I'll come by again next time I'm in the UC on a day other than Friday.

    ReplyDelete