Sunday, January 28, 2007

20-10

 

Last week in his State of the Union address, President Bush expressed his desire to reduce gasoline consumption by 20% over the next 10 years.  You know the situation is dire when conservatives (don’t confuse them with conservationists) start talking about environmental issues.  Even Utah’s Orrin Hatch is getting into the game by promoting electric cars



All this talk about global climate change has got me thinking.  If the president wants Americans to cut their gasoline consumption by 20% in 10 years, every American needs to cut her or his consumption 2% each year for the next 10 years.  How can we do it?



Here are a few ideas:



•    Take the bus or carpool to work 6 times
•    Don’t drive your car for a whole day 8 times
•    Keep your car tuned up
•    Use a manual reel lawnmower
•    Trade in your snow blower for a snow shovel



Mags and I have decided we’re going to make our 2% cut our gasoline consumption in a more difficult-to-quantify way. We’ve decided to buy more locally grown produce.   Trucking melons from California and shipping grapes from Chile consumes tons of fuel.  I know, trucks and ships burn diesel, not gasoline, but the result is the same.  So whenever we have a choice, we’re going to buy fruits and vegetables that haven’t crossed any state lines.   I don’t intend to cut back on my fruit and veggie consumption, so this could be challenging, but I feel it’s my duty as an American to help the president in this effort.  It’s about time I do something to support him. 



So how are you going to cut your 2 percent? 



1 comment:

  1. Put more miles on my bike each year than my wife does on the car. Also when I need to travel take the train or bus rather than flying. All of the other ideas are also good and I'm working on them.

    ReplyDelete