Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cut me some slack

I drove my car to work yesterday.   It's not because I was too weak from my fast.  It was 5 degrees outside, but that’s not the reason either.  The reason was that I spent much of Monday night cleaning Mags’s vomit off of the bathroom floor.  She had come down with some sort of nasty bug.  So I couldn’t hop right out of bed when my alarm went off at 5:45. It was more like 6:45 when I finally rolled out, and I’m supposed to be at work by 7:00. 



Like I said yesterday, this fast has saved me lots of time.  My liquid breakfast was waiting for me in the fridge, so I chugged it down and hopped in the car.  Mags certainly wouldn’t need it.  I was only a few minutes late for work. 



Six people asked me why I didn’t have my bike with me in the office today.  I had to repeat the above vomit story each time.  I found I was justifying driving a car to a bunch of car drivers.  I wonder why that is?   



It’s a little like as asking a Muslim why he’s eating a ham sandwich, or asking an Amish man why he sent you an email.  Have I set myself up as a beacon of bicycle righteousness?  Do they find pleasure in seeing me slip from my pedestal?  And is it because they harbor secret insecurities about their own driving habits? 



I’m just a guy who prefers exercising to sitting in traffic, burning Calories instead of gasoline, living in the world instead of watching it roll by from behind a windshield.   



2 comments:

  1. right on!
    How do you keep your hands warm in 5 degrees? Mine are freezing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't exactly keep my hands warm, but I wear some neoprene gloves that usually work well enough down to about 20 degrees. I found them in the hunting department of a sporting goods store, but they look more like oven cleaning gloves than hunting gloves. They're totally windproof and totally un-breathable, which could explain why they're starting to smell a little funny.
    Lately I've been wearing a pair of over-mittens over my neoprene gloves. They're basically an un-insulated waterproof shell, but they keep everything but my thumbs from throbbing when I start to warm up at work. I usually don't like wearing mittens on my bike, but it's worth it when the temperature is in the single digits.

    ReplyDelete