Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Behind the Zion Curtain

Originally posted July 22, 2004 by Chad

We sneaked into Utah today and promptly rewarded ourselves with above-the-rim raspberry milkshakes from Merlin's squat'n gobble--my name for it, not Merlin's. Utah is the only place I've ever found milkshakes so thick that they stand taller than the cup they're served in, and I love the place for it.
We rode with the Tour de Wyoming folks again this morning up Salt Pass above the Star Valley, and were a little too proud of ourselves when we passed some of the riders on the way up. At the top of the pass they had a food station so we stopped, chatted and helped ourselves to some bananas and Gatorade.
We cut across the Southeast corner of Idaho and were following the west edge of Bear Lake when we slipped under the Zion curtain. Half-way up our third mountain pass of the day we pulled off to admire the view of Bear Lake. A couple of Japanese men approached us and told us they had a gift for us. The gift turned out to be a new version of the Bible with "precious footnotes" that fill in the gaps. I politely listened because I realized I used to do the exact same thing to people in Australia that were too polite to tell me to bugger off, but I don't think I'll call the 800 number to get the free bible because, as much as I want to read it, I don't want to get on their mailing list. Besides, I didn't feel the "electric shock" one of them promised after he pled for Jesus to come into my heart. As we rode away I realized I could have begun speaking in tongues after his prayer--that probably would have fired up his faith. But I'm glad I didn't because it's never right to make a mockery out of something someone believes in.
We were tired and thirsty when finally pulled into Margaret's sister's driveway in Logan this evening. There was a banner draped across the bushes out front welcoming us to Utah. We did 120 miles today through three states, so Heidi's family set off fireworks in the street for us as a warm up to the Pioneer Day festivities.

Posted by Chad at 11:35 PM | Comments (1)
 
Original Comments: Behind the Zion curtain
Is this the same milk shake you kept praising Chad?
Posted by Joyeeta at August 3, 2004 02:21 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment