Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Flash Flood

Originally Posted July 1, 2004 by Chad

The weather report in Twisp indicated possible thunderstorms. I can handle rain. Then came the hail. That can be a little painful, but still no problem. Next was the lightning. This wasn’t distant lightning, oh no. It was surrounding us. Fine, I figured we’d just have to stop and wait it out in a low place away from the trees. We laid the bike down and huddled under our tarp, sure that the storm would pass over in a few minutes. I munched on salted peanuts. Time passed. We huddled closer for warmth. How much longer could this storm last? Then we felt the bulge against our backs. Something had crashed into our tarp. We threw the tarp off, turned around and there we saw it. What had been a small little gully only 30 minutes before was now a gushing river of mud. And we were sitting right in its path.
flood.JPG
Mags is sitting about where the flood caught up to us.

I shouted something that my mother wouldn’t approve of while we gathered our gear and ran for the bike. I spilled my peanuts. The pounding rain kept me from riding as fast as I wanted down Loup Loup pass, back toward Twisp, but that was good because otherwise the mudflows across the highway would have taken me by surprise. We found a barn a couple miles down the hill and I steered inside. Mags went to the house and asked if it was OK, not that we were going to leave if it wasn’t. 

Comments: Flash flood

How in the world are you posting this? Don't tell me there are libraries in Twisp?
Posted by Melanie Harris at July 2, 2004 02:24 PM
 

I hate you... I hate you... I hate you... What I wouldn't give to be almost swept away in a flash flood in the most beautiful and spiritual places on earth. I miss the freedom you both currently enjoy! Which brings me to my second point:
Shouldn't you be slaving away in the "Salt Mines?!" like the rest of us? Pay your taxes? And shouldn't a little Harris jr. be coming soon?
What I need right now is a inner-tube, a map, my 4 runner, and a little bit of water flow in the San Rafel.
Posted by Jeremy Bunting at July 4, 2004 06:37 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment